The USPS is running a special promotion to entice mailers to test mobile barcodes on their direct mail. The ultimate goal is to build awareness of mobile technology and demonstrate to mailers how mobile barcodes can increase the value of mail.
A mobile barcode is a two-dimensional barcode that can be read or scanned by a smart phone and will direct the user to an advertising website. The two most common types of mobile barcodes are QR Codes (Quick Response) and MS (Microsoft) Tags.
The program runs from July 1, 2011 through August 31, 2011 and is available for First Class, Standard and Non-Profit Mailers who incorporate a two-dimensional barcode either on the face or inside every piece in the mailing that is designed to direct the user to a promotional website. Mailers will receive an upfront 3% discount on postage for mailings that meet program requirements.
- First Class, Standard and Non-Profit mail is eligible.
- All mail pieces must include a mobile two-dimensional barcode on the face or within the mail piece.
- The barcode must be used for marketing purposes only.
- Postage must be paid via permit imprint and all postage documentation must be submitted to the USPS electronically.
- Co-mailing customers are eligible to participate in this program.
Published from ballantine.com